Sunday, March 25, 2012

Work From Home Tips

My employed friends are always asking me how I can work from home. With so many possible distractions, they say, they just wouldn't be able to do it. Well, it's not always easy, but I've gotten much better at it. I have some work from home tips for anyone struggling to stay focused.

1. Get up, take a shower and get dressed! It can be tempting to work at home in your pajamas, but trust me, pajamas are a terribly bad influence on productivity. If you're finding it hard to get dressed in the morning, make believe you have a job to go to...which is really true anyway.

2. Don't turn on the television set. TV is a distraction that you don't need. Save television for times when you don't have work to do.

3. Schedule yourself. Easier said than done, I know, but if you schedule yourself to work between certain hours, you're more likely to actually do it. Write down your schedule and stick to it.

4. Make sure that your work space is functional. Have everything you need at the ready, just as you would if you had an office with an employer. Trying to locate the things you need around the house throughout the day is harmfully distracting. Save some time at the end of the day to restock and clean up your area.

5. Establish boundaries for others in your household. Make it clear that they know you are working. Provide them with a copy of your schedule and ask them not to disturb you during working hours unless it's imperative that they do so.

6. Don't answer the phone. Taking business phone calls may be unavoidable but don't take personal calls. People will assume that just because you are working from home, you are free to listen to their every thought. It's hard to get people off the phone sometimes, so it's just easier if you don't answer it.

Those are just some of the things you should do if you want to work from home efficiently. I'll probably post some more tips later. You can be very productive at home if you just stay focused.

Because every little bit helps...

Carole Tee

2 comments:

  1. He Carol!

    Your tips for working at home efficiently is a life saver! I have only recently discovered the trick of not working in Pajamas or in my case - a nightgown! If I really want to get some work done and be efficient: I will put on my work clothes as if I am going to work (which I really am). I feel more professional and get more done that way. I like your blog and will follow it. Also, I am new to blogging and would like to get your advice on what you think of my blog. Thank you.

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darlene...Sorry it took me so long to reply...I have been busy with all sorts of work! Thank you for your kind words...I'd love to look at your work from home blog...what's the URL??

    Because every little bit helps...

    Carole Tee

    ReplyDelete